These videos were created to help students effectively use the Butte College Library resources and services. Feel free to add the links to Blackboard or show the videos in your class. Most of these videos are also used in the Research Paper Learning Module.
• Library Web Site (video 1:11) - how to access the Library Web site and how to contact a librarian for help.
• Off-Campus Access (video 2:01) - how to access Library electronic resources from home or any off-campus location.
• Simple Search (video 2:43) - Using Simple Search to find books, and understanding the Search Results display.
• Advanced Search (video 2:01) - how to use Advanced Search to find books, and how to open an e-book from the Search Results.
• Locating Books in the Library (video 3:22) - how to locate a book using the call number.
• Requesting a Library Book for Pick-up at the Chico Center (video 2:03) - how to make book request online to have library books sent to the Chico Center.
eBook Collection at EBSCOhost (video 6:34) - how to locate, search, and navigate eBooks in the EBSCOhost collection.
Gale Virtual Reference Library (video 3:34) - how to locate, search, and navigate eBooks in the Gale Virtual Reference collection.
• Print Periodicals (video 2:39) - where to find print newspapers and periodicals in the Butte College Library.
• Butte College Library Research Databases (video 2:01) - how to access research databases, and how the databases are organized.
• SIRS Knowledge Source (video 3:36) - how to find research paper topic ideas and background information from SIRS Knowledge Source.
• CQ Researcher Online (video 4:03) - how to find research paper topic ideas and background information from CQ Researcher Online.
• Proquest Direct (video 7:00) - how to perform a search for relevant results in Proquest; search results display, and other useful features.
• Academic Search Premier (video 2:58) - how to perform a search for relevant results in Academic Search Premier; search results display, and other useful features.
• Finding Newspaper Articles (video 4:59) - using NewsBank and other databases to find newspaper articles.
• Getting Citations from Library Databases (video 2:56) - how to get the citations for articles retrieved from different library databases, such as Proquest, EBSCOhost, Wilson Web, etc.
• Finding Scholarly Journals in Butte College Library (3:49) - how to find scholarly journals in Butte College Library.
• Boolean Search (video 3:16) - using ‘AND’, ‘OR’, ‘NOT’ to combine search terms for precise searches.
• Truncation (video 1:48) - how to truncate a word, and how truncation helps to expand searches.
• Phrase Search (video 1:10) - using double quotations for phrase search.
• Search Fields (video 4:21) - learn about different search fields and how to choose appropriate search fields for different search terms.
The following videos introduce some of our Library services available to current students, staff, and faculty.
• Book Circulation (video 2:19) - how to check out reserve and regular circulating books.
• Reference (video 1:37) -services available at the reference desk.
• Interlibrary Loan (video 3:18) -how to get books from other libraries when the Butte College library does not own the book.
• Inspiration Software (video 8:59) - how to use concept mapping software to organize your ideas and your paper
• Taking Notes & Documenting Sources (video 4:36) - how to take notes and document sources for a research paper.
• Creating an Online Survey (video 5:23) - how to create an online survey using Survey Monkey (a free Web tool).