Library Code of Conduct
The Library is committed to providing quality service through our staff, resources, and facilities. The Library expects its users to respect the rights of others to a safe, pleasant, and productive environment for study and research. This Code of Conduct is for the benefit of all users of the library and applicable to all. Please speak with the librarian on duty if you need special accommodations.
Respect for Others
- Disruptive behavior, including loud conversation, loud headphones, verbal abuse, threats of violence or harassment of other users and library staff, is prohibited.
- Groups working together should use group study rooms on the 3rd floor.
- Please limit your time on the computer to 20 minutes when others are waiting.
- Using computers for leisure purposes is permitted only when computers are not needed by others for academic purposes.
Respect for Property
- Damaging and defacing library materials or equipment is prohibited.
- Those using publicly available computers are expected to take proper care of the equipment.
Use of Copyrighted and Licensed Materials
- The responsibility for the appropriate use of copyrighted and licensed materials lies with the user.
- The misuse or unauthorized use of copyrighted or licensed information may lead to loss of privileges and legal actions.
Use of Cell Phones
- Cell phones should be switched off or set to a silent mode.
- Use of cell phones is limited to the library entrance way.
Food and Drink
- Food is not permitted in the library.
- Drinks in paper or coffee-house style cups are not permitted.
Any patron who commits or attempts to commit any breach of the code of conduct above is subject to sanctions, including:
- Being asked to leave library premises
- Being reported to the police; and
- Legal prosecution.
NOTE: Per Butte College Board policies, use of any and all tobacco products is limited to designated smoking areas only, and strictly prohibited in any building.