Butte College Classified Senate Code of Ethics
Approved October 16, 2013
The purpose of this Code is to establish ethical standards of personal and professional conduct for members of the Butte College Classified Senate that promote the highest level of public confidence and integrity in support for the advancement of the Butte College Community. As a Senate member I have a duty to perform a vital service on behalf of all Butte College classified personnel. I have an obligation to fulfill my duties to the best of my ability and to become a capable and successful Senate member. I am willing to devote and efficiently manage my time and energy to attend Senate meetings and to participate in the discussion of issues and identification of solutions in the shared governance process of Butte College.
Senate Member Commitments.
• To recognize that my Senate appointment is a position of trust and not a special entitlement, privilege, or benefit for myself. • To accept and uphold the decision of the Butte College Classified Senate, its Constitution, By-laws and policies and procedures as determined by a majority vote of its members.
• To accept the legal and ethical commitments and responsibilities of the Butte College Classified Senate to the college staff and the students we serve.
• To uphold fair and equitable treatment of all employees and apportionment of institutional resources.
• To maintain productive associations that enable the Classified Senate to pursue its objectives by means consistent with the interest of the students, classified professionals, faculty and administrators.
• To dedicate myself to the highest ideals of honor and integrity in all public and personal conduct: to maintain integrity, to disclose conflicts of interest, personal relationships or other affiliations that may influence my Senate decisions, and if necessary, to abstain from the discussion and vote of the Senate.
• To base decisions upon all available acts in each situation, vote my honest conviction in every case and to uphold the majority decision of the Senate.
• To welcome collaboration and encourage participation and freedom of expression of all members from the Butte College campus community.
• To propose change through constructive channels with due consideration for the opinions of others and their right to dissent.
• To demonstrate respect for the diversity of the Butte College community and the value such diversity brings to the advancement of the college. This Code of Ethics for members of the Butte College Classified Senate is intended to represent and promote the highest standards of personal conduct and professional standards among its members. By joining this Senate, a member espouses this code thereby assuring public confidence in the integrity and service of the Classified Senate.