What is Library Instruction?
Library Instruction is a class session taught by a librarian to assist students in the use of the library's electronic and print resources. Instruction can be tailored to the needs of the students based on course requirements or projects assigned by classroom faculty. Classes are conducted in a computer lab to provide students with a hands-on, online research experience.
- Main Campus: LB 206
- Chico Center: CHC open lab
- Skyway Center: CHC open lab
- Glenn Center
- Distance classes
What do my students learn in a Library Instruction session?
You can choose the focus of the Library Instruction session for your specific class. Here are some topics we usually teach in a Library Instruction session:
- How to find books using the Library's online catalog.
- How to find scholarly articles in the Library's research database collection.
- How to conduct research for a specific topic or assignment.
- How to use each database (e.g., ProQuest, CQ Researcher).
- How to find a specific type of information (e.g. statistics, quotations, political maps).
- How to evaluate resources.
- Learn about search techniques (such as Boolean logic, truncation and wildcards).
- Learn about various research tools and resources in a discipline.
- Learn about citation formats and styles.
- Learn about what resources the Library has and where to get help.
Do I need to be present during a Library Instruction session?
Yes. Your presence is required as the instructor of record for the class, and is important because
- You will be aware of what your students learn in the session.
- You will be able to ask questions and guide the session to suit your class needs.
- Your presence will encourage your students to attend and pay attention during the session.
- You will maintain currency with the library's resources and search tools.
- You will be able to provide feedback to the librarian.
- To schedule a Library Instruction session, please fill out the online Library Instruction Request Form below.
If you do not receive a confirmation email from a librarian within two working days, please call us at 530-879-4024.
- You may also print the form and send via intercampus mail, or stop by in person to schedule.
Main Campus Reference Desk: LB 2nd Floor * 530-879-4024
Chico Center Reference Desk: CHC 219 * 530-879-4398
We require two weeks notice to ensure lab availability and so that librarians can create a relevant lesson plan for your class or assignment.
Please submit only one class session per form (i.e., if you have 2 sections, complete a request for each).