Back to Section Home

Residency Answers


Minors under 19 (as of the first day of the semester applied for) and unmarried derive their residency from their parents. If the parent is a California resident and the minor student arrives in California before his/her 18th birthday, that student receives California residency. If the student arrives after his/her 18th birthday, proof must be shown that student's parent(s) is a California resident and claimed the student on their CA-540 tax form for the preceding tax year.
For more information concerning Minor students, contact the Residency Technician at (530) 895-2546

Foreign Students

If you are in the United States with a Visa that allows establishment of residency, then the one year physical presence and intent will apply. IF your visa precludes you from establishing residency, then you would be charged the non-resident enrollment fees. You must provide the visa information when submitting your application. You may be asked to show visa to prove residency. The following visas can establish residency:

Permanent Resident Visa (I551)
A-1, A-2, A-3, E-1, E-2, G-1, G-2, G-3, G-4, G-5, H-1, H-4, I, K, L-1, L-2, O-1, O-3, R, AND TC.

Go back to Residency for info concerning presence and intent.

The following Visas cannot establish Residency status for the community college:
B-1, B-2, D-1, D-2, H-2, H-3, M-1, M-2, O-2, P-1, P-2, P-3, P-4, Q, AND OUT OF STATUS.

Persons with the following Visas must contact our International student Technician at Butte for information concerning application and admittance to Butte College.
F-1, F-2, J-1, J-2

Visit the International Student Admissions webpage for more information or call the International Student Technician at (530) 895-2572.

Butte College | 3536 Butte Campus Drive, Oroville CA 95965 | General Information 530.895.2511

Back to Top