Password Management Service: BCPortalGuard
In an effort to make password management easier for all faculty, staff, and students, Butte College is providing a new service starting in mid-March: BCPortalguard.
You can use this service right from the Butte College Login page the next time you forget your password rather than calling Student Technical Support or User Support Services.
The Butte College BCPortalguard password management system allows you to easily manage your Butte College campus password used to log into MyBC, Canvas, email, WiFi and other campus services. Using the BCPortalguard password management system will reduce the time and effort you spend to maintain your campus password.
When the service goes live, two new buttons will appear on the Butte College Login Page:
BCPortalguard Features Include:
24/7 Self Service:
- Ability to reset your password either before or after it has expired without the aid of campus service desk staff
- For online distance learners, support for managing your password without ever having to visit the campus
- Ability to reset your password from virtually anywhere in the world using your computer, tablet or smartphone
- Ability to reset your password via text, email, or by answering security questions
- Automated alert emails when a password has been changed, to provide enhanced security
BCPortalguard Password Basics
In order to ensure that every Butte College user (student or employee) has full access to the technology resources they need while minimizing the threat of inappropriate access, Butte College uses a combination of a user name (also referred to as a user ID) and a password. Combined, they form the security credentials needed to authenticate you to campus services, like MyBC and Canvas. For example, when logging onto WiFi or MyBC, you must enter both a user ID and password.
Your login credentials give access to everything related to your schooling, including registration, financial aid, counseling, etc. Protect yourself by doing the following:
- Never, ever share your password with anyone. You are the only person who should know your password. If you have trouble remembering your password, keep a copy of it in a location that only you have access to. Do not leave your password anywhere where it will be visible to other people. If you give your password to anyone, they might impersonate you, and you will be held responsible for any damage that they might do.
- Keep passwords complex so that they are not easily guessed. Butte College passwords must meet the following complexity standards:
- Must be at least 8 characters long
- Must be 32 or fewer characters long
- Must contain at least 2 different characters from previous password
- Must not contain your user ID
- Cannot be a previous password
It must also satisfy any 3 of the rules below:
- Must have at least 1 lowercase character
- Must have at least 1 uppercase character
- Must have at least 1 numeric character
- Must have at least 1 special character
- Change your password frequently. Butte College users must change their passwords at least every 180 days.