"Licensed Vocational Nurses (LVNs) provide basic bedside nursing care to clients under the direction of a physician or registered nurse. The LVN utilizes scientific and technical expertise and manual skills. Duties within the scope of practice of an LVN typically include, but are not limited to, provision of basic hygienic and nursing care, measurement of vital signs, basic client assessment, documentation, performance of prescribed medical treatments, and with separate Board certification, the administration of prescribed medications and performance of non-medicated intravenous therapy and blood withdrawal." (From California Board of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians)
THE LVN PROGRAM
The Butte College Vocational Nursing program is a state-approved program which provides the courses necessary for a student to apply for licensure as a vocational nurse. The curriculum includes the equivalent of three academic semesters of nursing theory and supervised clinical practicum.
PREREQUISITES FOR ENROLLMENT
1. Age 17 years or older.
2. Documentation of 12th grade education or equivalent.
3. Active CNA License (beginning December 2016)
(Beginning December 2016-February 2017 application cycle, all LVN applicants May need to have a valid CNA License)
1. ENGL 2 Reading and Composition
2. MATH 108 Beginning Algebra or competency on Butte College Algebra I Assessment Test
3. BIOL 20 Human Anatomy (online lab not accepted)
4. BIOL 21 Human Physiology (online lab not accepted)
5. FN 50 Nutrition and Diet Therapy or FN 2 Basic Nutrition
Courses must be completed with a grade of "C" or better.
1. All prerequisite courses must be completed before applying.
2. In the event that there are more qualified candidates than vacancies in the class, a computer lottery will select the individuals to be enrolled.
3. Applicants that are not selected for enrollment must reapply to any future program. Odds of admission increase with each consecutive application.
Go to Applications for information regarding:
1. Application deadlines
2. Obtaining an application
3. Financial aid information
PROGRAM BEGINS EVERY THIRD SEMESTER THROUGH SPRING 2017
|Application Due||August 2015||February 2017||February 2018||February 2019||February 2020||February 2021|
|Program begins||Spring 2016||Summer 2017||Summer 2018||Summer 2019||Summer 2020||Summer 2021|